Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Pinterest? What is Pinterest? What is all the excitement about??


A few weeks ago a friend of mine, who is a big coupon hunter, was commenting about this website, www.pinterest.com   (pronounced like interest with a “P” at the beginning) that she had found where there were lots of interesting couponing resources.  She told me that it was an “invite only” site and if I wanted to check it out, she would send me an invite to get logged in.  I am always up a new online resource, so I accepted!

At first, I wasn’t quite sure what the site was all about but now as I have used it more and talked with more people about it, it is a fun, graphic way to collect things online that are of interest to you.  It can include whatever you are interested in!  You make pinboards and post pictures with links to pictures from other sites and blogs about the topics you decide.  Travel, Food, Wedding planning, Design, Garden, Health, and any other topic you want to create.  The website’s explanation goes like this,
Here's my Pinterest page

“Pinterest is a Virtual Pinboard.  Pinterest lets you organize and share all the beautiful things you find on the web.”

I’ll warn you that once you start using Pinterest you will find it mildly addicting because there is just so much fascinating stuff out there!  The more you use it, the more you will connect with others that share you interests and it just keeps growing.

Here are some steps to get started:

1. Go to www.pinterest.com and request an invite.  If you have a friend that is already using it, they can invite you also.  If you leave me your email below I will send you an invite!

2. Create a Profile of yourself.  Upload a picture of yourself and tell a little bit about you!  If you have a website, you can link to that in your profile.

3.  Start creating a few Pin boards to attach things you are interested in, by topic.  If you are an organization or business you can highlight your products/services by creating boards that do the following:


* Exclusive Product Offering – special offers for Pinterest members only
* Upcoming Events,Product Releases – new products and services
* How-tos  - Pin a video on your board about your product/service
* Coupons and QR Codes – post coupons for your business
* Online Catalog – highlight the items that you sell


Follow Me on Pinterest

Now I want to hear your thoughts on Pinterest.com.  Is this a site that you use or would like to give a try?  What do you think are the pros/cons of yet another social networking site? Please leave a comment below!


I would  love to show you the benefits of using this and any other social networking sites for personal or business use via Skype, Facetime or in person(in Chittenden County, Vermont)  please feel free to contact me here:  http://www.jeanthecomputertutor.com/contact

 

 

 


1 comment:

  1. Jean, send an invite...

    As soon as I'm ahead a bit...just a bit, I'm hiring you for this social stuff...tech stuff...all this stuff that annoys me to learn on my own:-0

    ReplyDelete