Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Google Chromebook - What is it like?

I got my hands on a new Google Chromebook today and thought I would share a few details~It is bigger than a net-book or an iPad in size but smaller than a standard size laptop.It is light and feels like it has about medium sturdiness. By this I mean I am not sure your dog could take a nap on it and it would come out unscathed. It could take a bump or 2 no problem but not really hard abuse.The Chromebook runs the Google Operating system which is a version of their web browser on steroids.To use a Chromebook on regular basis, you need to shift you world out to the cloud. What is the cloud you ask?It is a bunch of servers that Google owns and operates all over the country and even out in the ocean where you store your stuff. That's some redundancy if I ever saw it! Anyway, you save all your documents using GoogleDocs and Gmail for your email system. There are a ton of apps to download from the Chrome App Store many are free. A few we tried out today were File Cabinet and apps for email and docs. There is no school based server that we would use with a Chromebook. Instead, we move all our documents onto Docs and work from the internet. This begs the question of, "What happens when the internet goes down?" and the answer is you are pretty much out of luck and have to wait for it to return.I'll tell you more about this tomorrow, I've got to dash.Peace,Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment